Here are a few updates about McAfee products:
Memory leak in MFEVTPS.EXE
Recent Microsoft security updates for Windows XP SP3 introduce a memory leak for the VirusScan Enterprise process MFEVTPS.EXE. The leak is actually from a Windows binary, Crypt32.dll, that MFEVTPS.EXE utilizes. A fix for this issue is available from Microsoft.
For more information, see KB73018:
To download the Microsoft fix for this issue, see:
M++/ZeroAccess RootkitRemoval Tool Now Available
Recently McAfee has seen an increase in M++/ZeroAccess rootkit activity, and has developed the ZeroAccess RootkitRemover Tool V.1.0.
McAfee testing has shown the procedure below to be effective in eliminating this threat on infected systems:
1. Run the ZeroAccess RootkitRemover tool
2. Update to the latest Beta DAT
3. Run csscan.exe (included with VirusScan Enterprise)
4. Reboot the system.
For customers who do not have a license for VirusScan Enterprise, McAfee has also created a Stinger to use in conjuction with the RootkitRemoval tool.
For more information on the M++/ZeroAccess rootkit, go to:
To download the ZeroAccess RootkitRemover Tool and see instructions for cleaning infected systems, go to:
- Home users: http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=562354
- Corporate users: http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/malware/default.aspx?id=562354
End of Support (EOS) Notice for VSE 8.5i, AntiSpyware 8.5i, and MID 8.5
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.5i (including supported patches), the AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.5i plug-in, and McAfee Installation Designer (MID) 8.5 will reach End of Support (EOS) on December 31, 2011.
McAfee will not provide support for this version of the product and its related components beyond this date. McAfee strongly recommends that customers who are still using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i make provisions to migrate to the latest version of the product by this date.
For more information on this EOS notice, refer to KnowledgeBase article KB69579:
- KB51111 – Supported environments for VSE on Microsoft Windows https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51111
- KB70966 – Supported environments for VirusScan Enterprise Add-on products on Microsoft Windows https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB70966
- McAfee Product and Technology Support Lifecycle details:
- Enterprise Products End of Life Policy details: