A long time Citrix hasn’t supported the Desktop Viewer for XenApp. Originally the Desktop Viewer is used (and delivered) with XenDesktop. However more and more people have been using the Desktop Viewer also for XenApp. Until now this was not officially supported and if there were any problems likely you’d be redirected back to the supported way.
With the release of Receiver 3.3 the use of Dekstop Viewer in combination with XenApp 6.5 is supported. Here’s a snip from the eDocs of the website:
Hosted Shared desktops. Receiver for Windows now supports server desktops published with Citrix XenApp. The desktops are displayed through the Desktop Viewer. To configure this feature, see the XenApp, StoreFront, or Web Interface documentation.
The use of the Desktop Viewer is only supported with Receiver 3.3 and is not backwards supported. So if you want to use the Desktop Viewer upgrade to Receiver 3.3 before making the support call. Besides the support for Desktop Viewer version 3.3 has also some security fixes.
The black Desktop Viewer toolbar does not show up in the user XenApp or XenDesktop ICA session.
The issue is caused by NOT having the ShowDesktopViewer parameter set to On in the WebInterface.conf file on the Web Interface server.
To resolve this issue, complete the following procedure:
- Logon to the machine hosting the Web Interface as an administrator user.
- Open the C:InetpubwwwrootCitrixXenAppconf folder for Web Interface connections.
- Open the C:InetpubwwwrootCitrixPNAgentconf folder for PNAgent connections.
- Edit the WebInterface.conf file in both these locations.
- Update the configuration file to remove the ‘#’ and set ShowDesktopViewer=On.
- It is officially supported in XenDesktop environments.
- It is included with the online plug-in and is installed by default on client devices.
- It is available in Windowed Mode or Full Screen Mode.
- It integrates easily into single and multiple monitor environments.
- The toolbar provides easy access to Display and HDX preferences.
- It provides toolbar shortcuts to switch between multiple Hosted Shared Desktop sessions with ease.
Read the original article here at the Citrix knowledgebase.