Citrix has released today a new version of the Application Streaming software.
Application streaming simplifies application delivery to users by virtualizing applications on client devices. Administrators can install and configure an application centrally and deliver it to any desktop on demand. This software is released with XenDesktop 5.6 and is included in this download. For more information about the new XenDesktop 5.6 version please check this post.
In addition to general improvements, this release includes:
- Support for Microsoft Office 2010, Service Pack 1
- Support for Citrix personal vDisk
- Support for ShareFile Plug-in for Citrix Receiver
For a list of issues fixed in this release, see http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX124164 in the Citrix Knowledge Center.
- On pooled Windows XP XenDesktops, the RadeCache flush command does not flush the streamed contents. As a workaround, restart the pooled Windows XP XenDesktops and try the command again.
- On Windows 7 platforms, a locally installed Citrix ShareFile plug-in might fail to integrate when users stream Microsoft Outlook 2010. As a workaround, an administrator can add the ShareFile Adxloader.dll manually on the local device. To do this, In Outlook, from the File menu, select Options > Add-ins. In Manage COM Add-ins, click Go, and then click Add. Browse to “C:Program FilesShareFileOutlookPlugins” and select Adxloader.dll. Alternatively, install the ShareFile plug-in locally on the user device. [# 0269975]
- Automatic updates of some streaming applications fail on virtual desktops. For example, users can install and use Skype as a streamed application on their virtual desktops, but when prompted to update it, reinstallation may fail. As a workaround, while profiling the application, disable the third-party application’s automatic update feature. When a new version of the application is released, update the profile and make it available to users. [#0276497]
- Before planning for Citrix personal vDisk Reset operation, run the RadeCache /Flushall command to clear the cache to prevent void mount points. [#0273501]
Issues for Profiling and Streaming Microsoft Applications
Office 2007. For best practices for streaming Office 2007 applications, see http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX118396 in the Citrix Knowledge Center.
Office 2010. For best practices for customizing Office 2010 applications for streaming environments, see http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX124565 in the Citrix Knowledge Center.
- Profiling and launching streamed Office 2010 applications on Windows Server 2003 and XP operating systems require Microsoft hotfixes. Symptoms of missing hotfixes include error messages appearing while profiling Office 2010 applications, or application launch on the user device consuming 100% of the CPU on the device. These third-party issues occur if you install Microsoft security update KB956572, but not the hotfixes KB973573 or KB978835 that correct a problem. [#229982, 227925]To profile or stream Office 2010 applications, install these hotfixes on profiler workstations and user devices:
- Streaming Profiler 6.5 workstations only with Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), download the hotfix from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2359223/en-US (requires a computer restart). [#248727]
- On Windows XP 32-bit platforms, install hotfix KB978835.
- On all Windows XP or Windows 2003 platforms, install hotfix KB973573.
For more information, see http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX124563.
For more information about this product please visit the Citrix eDocs here.