This article describes two methods to convert a VMware virtual machine to a XenServer virtual machine. The first method is to export and import it in an Open Virtualization Format (OVF) package. The second method is to export and import its disk images. It is preferable to use the first method because it retains many Virtual Machine properties and is simpler for a Virtual Machine with multiple disk images.
Administrator access to VMware Virtual Machine for conversion Administrator access to XenServer and XenCenter Experienced using VMware products, XenServer, and XenCenter
Note: This article is for XenServer 6 onwards. For XenServer 5.6 and earlier, refer to CTX116603 – How to Convert VMware Virtual Machines to XenServer Virtual Machines 5.6 and Earlier.
Preparing VMware Virtual Machine
- Power on Virtual Machine and login.
- Uninstall VMware Tools.
- Delete/uninstall any unnecessary data, drives, partitions, and applications.
- Shutdown Virtual Machine.
Exporting VMware Virtual Machine to OVF Package
The following VMware products support OVF package export:
- VMware vSphere
- VMware Infrastructure
- VMware Workstation
- VMware OVF Tool
- VMware vCenter Converter
- VMware Studio
Note: The following instructions are for VMware vSphere.
- Open VMware vSphere Client and login.
- Select Virtual Machine. Continue reading “How to Convert VMware Virtual Machines to XenServer Virtual Machines”