The black Desktop Viewer toolbar does not show up in the user XenApp or XenDesktop ICA session.
The issue is caused by NOT having the ShowDesktopViewer parameter set to On in the WebInterface.conf file on the Web Interface server.
To resolve this issue, complete the following procedure:
- Logon to the machine hosting the Web Interface as an administrator user.
- Open the C:InetpubwwwrootCitrixXenAppconf folder for Web Interface connections.
- Open the C:InetpubwwwrootCitrixPNAgentconf folder for PNAgent connections.
- Edit the WebInterface.conf file in both these locations.
- Update the configuration file to remove the ‘#’ and set ShowDesktopViewer=On.
- It is officially supported in XenDesktop environments.
- It is included with the online plug-in and is installed by default on client devices.
- It is available in Windowed Mode or Full Screen Mode.
- It integrates easily into single and multiple monitor environments.
- The toolbar provides easy access to Display and HDX preferences.
- It provides toolbar shortcuts to switch between multiple Hosted Shared Desktop sessions with ease.
Read the original article here at the Citrix knowledgebase.
Registry based VDA Registration
List more than one controller on ListOfDDCs registry key separated by a space to prevent registration issues if a controller is not available.
• Example DDC5.xd.local DDC6.xd.local
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SoftwareCitrixVirtualDesktopAgentListOfDDCs
o 64Bit – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftware Wow6432CitrixVirtualDesktopAgentListOfDDCs (REG_SZ)
Ensure all values listed under ListOfDDCs map to a valid fully qualified domain name to prevent startup registration delays.
XenDesktop 5.5 and higher supports registration groups by adding parenthesis around each group. This feature addition allows you to create groups of brokers to load balance Virtual Desktop Agent registrations. Once you have defined groups of brokers, registrations attempts are made against Broker 1 in Group 1, then against Broker 2 in Group 1, and so on. If all registration attempts against Group 1 brokers fail, attempts are made against Group 2 brokers, and so on.
• Example (DDC1.local.domain DDC2.local.domain) (DDC3.local.domain DDC4.local.domain)
Note:The VDA (Citrix Desktop Service) will randomly select DDCs from the list (grouped or ungrouped) until a successful connection to a DDC is established.
CTX130369 – Citrix XenDesktop 5.5 – Issues Fixed in This Release
CTX118976 – How to Configure XenDesktop to Function Without an Organizational Unit in Active Directory
CTX132536 – Worker Unregisters at Session Launch
You can read the entire knowledgebase article here.
Before we run through a basic proof-of-concept install, let’s talk about some of the key differences between XD4 and XD5. There are some significant terminology changes from previous releases of XD (this is Citrix, so no surprise, right?!): Continue reading “Installing a XenDesktop 5 PoC”